Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Sedimentation level down, CRP down. Taking anti inflammatory. Suggest treatment

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
my sedimenation level was 120 6 wks ago it is now 87.....full body scan turned up nothing abnormal.....all other blood readings good except CRP now down to 55 from 143....other sympthoms temperature phases when inflammation rises and hot tingling feet shins knees arms turning to pain if i do not take the anti inflammatory on time/ chest x XXXXXXX / blood culture /urine tests all negative ... XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, sedimentation level is not a good diagnostic parameter. I mean to say that many factors can modify the results. So, it cannot indicate towards a definite pathology.

But, some conditions like multiple myeloma is still thought to give a higher value. So, that condition should be kept in mind.

As you have told that it is decreasing and full body scan shows nothing, then the possibility of multiple myeloma virtually ruled out.

So, the higher value of this sedimentation level can be caused by any acute inflammatory conditions. Some chronic inflammatory conditions like tuberculosis can also be the cause.

So, apart from doing other investigations, you should consult with your treating doctor about ancillary tests to rule out any possibility of tuberculosis.

Now, CRP is an acute phase protein that means higher level of this CRP is associated with an acute inflammatory condition.

So, overall, considering your previous medical history and present test results, it can be said that an acute inflammatory condition is associated with this high level of sedimentation rate and CRP.

Do not worry. Continue the anti-inflammatory drugs as instructed. Keep following up with your treating doctor.

In this condition, the follow up is very much important. Serum electrophoresis and other investigations should be performed periodically.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor