Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Require suggestion regarding Uterine fibroid?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I require your suggestion regarding Uterine fibroid. During health checkup it was found in ultra sound test that my wife is having Uterine Fibroid in a minor state.
Could you pleases elaborate about this, that, whether this can be cured in an most effective way so that it does not cause any fertility problems.
FYI, she was not overweight, or, not bleeding too much on those days, age 30.
And, for a precautionary measure, i advice doctor to recheck again, which i am going to take her again a test tomorrow. In between could you please help us, whether it is a complicated issue.

Regards, XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

Treatment of uterine fibroids depends on the symptoms.

The fibroid can affect fertility if:
It is submucosal or bigger intramural fibroid, which can affect implantation by distorting the uterine cavity.
Near the uterine cornu which can affect traveling of sperm, ovum or zygote.
Cervical fibroid can affect fertility by obstructing the ascent of sperm.
By causing menstrual irregularity.

So if the fibroid you mentioned:
Is smaller in size.
Not in above mentioned positions.
Without any symptoms.
Then it can be just observed with regualr ultrasound examinations.

If it is causing any symptoms and if there is any possibility that it can affect fertility you can go for treatment.
As you are desirous of children better to choose medicines which will not alter menstrual cycles like progesterone tablets from 16 to 26th day.
After discussing with your doctor you can choose the mode of management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor