Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Regular drinker, high SGOT and SGPT level. Best medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 325 Questions
My SGOT level is 230 and SGPT is 190. I am a regular drinker. Please suggest me the best medicins.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 51 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!
You are suffering with alcoholic liver disease (ALD) which encompasses a spectrum of injury, ranging from simple steatosis to XXXXXXX cirrhosis. Fatty liver develops in about 90 % of individuals who drink.The amount of alcohol ingested (independent of the form in which it is ingested) is the most important risk factor for the development of ALD. Abstinence has been shown to improve the outcome and histological features of hepatic injury, to reduce portal pressure and decrease progression to cirrhosis, and to improve survival at all stages in patients with ALD. The presence of significant protein calorie malnutrition is a common finding in alcoholics, are deficiencies in a number of vitamins and trace minerals, including vitamins A, D, thiamine, folate, pyridoxine, and zinc. Many other therapeutic interventions have been studied but have not been able to show convincing benefit, including trials of anti-oxidants (vitamin E, silymarin, combination anti-oxidants like Liv 52). Will recommend you show to your clinician and get yourself examined to assess the amount of liver damage. Hope I have answered your query. If no further clarification, will request you to kindly close and rate it. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor