Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Red rash at the tip of penis followed by white crusty pus. Had cleaned the previous night with baby wipes. Allergic reaction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
I have this red rash around the tip of my penis its gone down a little but when i took my jockeys of there was white crusty pus, should i be worried or could it be an allergic reaction as the night previous i cleaned it with these harsh baby wipes??
my email has been disabled could you reply on this please ??
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 52 minutes later

Thanks for writing to Healthcare magic.

It seems you have developed balanitis. Red part over penis is a part of mucosa and it is quite sensitive. It can be irritated by many factors like urine, latex, soaps, detergents, wet wipes, etc. Baby wipes contain alcohol based solutions (propylene glycol) and they can irritate penile mucosa leading to balanitis. Sometimes it may get secondarily infected with Candida.

Balanitis is not so serious and can be treated easily. Just keep area dry and clean. Use XXXXXXX warm water only to clean it. Avoid soaps and wipes. Do not use latex or other condoms.

It would be important to avoid any sexual activity till symptoms get cured.

Take proper care while urinating since even few drops of urine can irritate and worsen condition. You can apply a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone which is available on counter. Use it only for few days (maximum 2 weeks).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor