Red dot on tattoo. Is it melanoma? See a specialist?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Skin Cancer
Question: Hi there,
I have a smallish tattoo on my right forearm/wrist. This morning I noticed a red dot in the same area. I am worried that it is there all of a sudden, as it wasn't there yesterday. I estimate it to be around 2/3 mm in width, and it's brownish red. It does not stand up out of the skin and seems to be in the same layer of skin as the tattoo pigment. I am worried this might be a melanoma, should I see a specialist?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with the query. The small red spot that you mentioned seems more likely to be due to a vascular malformation like capillary hemangioma rather than a pigment related problem.
Usually these do not need any treatment and they subside on their own. There is no need to rush to a specialist right now. You only need to self monitor it for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means they need to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T