Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Red circular area below rib cage and painful bowel movements. Could this be colon cancer?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
i have a red circular area on right side just below bottom of rib cage with hyperactive bowel sounds ever since i took too many aleve one day. very painful BMs and pain right after i eat. besides pain, BMs seem quite normal. i'm freaking out about colon cancer and what all i've read about aleve. My medical history isn't major. I've given birth twice. I've always had irregularity, but its only really been a problem the past 10 years. (I look 8 months pregnant the week before menstration, eat like a horse all month and nothing comes out til menstration starts, then I'm skinny again after). I have really painful periods so my Gyn prescribes me hydrocodone, which I don't take but maybe one per month. The last appt I made before losing my job/insurance, I refused a fill on the prescription because I had some. The following year, I lost my insurance the day before my well woman, so I had none left. About 8 months ago, I had a very painful period that left me absent minded enough to take 3 aleve, sleep for 2 hours then woke up and took 2 more. My gut hasn't been right ever since. No insurance until I get a job after graduation, so this is my only option for now. :/
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Brief answer...Your symptoms suggest that it could be irritable bowel syndrome. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I can understand your anxiety over your disturbed bowel movements,but since there is no history of loss of weight and passing of blood in your stools,the chances of colon cancer are less. Your symptoms suggest the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome .However you need investigations for proper diagnosis. You must get yourself investigated thoroughly by getting the following tests.. Complete blood count Stool for occult blood Sigmoidoscopy Colonoscopy with biopsy GASTROSCOPY etc. The tests can be tailored to your needs by a gastroenterologist. Please visit a competent gastroenterologist and get yourself evaluated. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor