Recurring low grade fever, stomach ache, nausea. Could it be virus?
I have had a recurring low grade fever (99.1 - 100.1) and stomach ache and nausea (vomiting about 5 times/week) for the past 8 weeks with the exception of a 3-week period when I broke my shoulder and was taking round-the-clock painkillers. Nausea is worse late at night and early morning. My appetite is relatively normal; No other symptoms.
Is there a virus that could be causing these symptoms?
Thank you for the query.
Stomach infection caused by virus is possible, however usually such infection lasts few days and after that time symptoms go away.
Stomach ache, vomiting, low grade fever can be caused by peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or even stomach cancer. That is why you should not neglect your symptoms.
Peptic ulcer usually gives the pain 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea and vomiting can be present. It is more possible if you take pain killers regularly.
Stomach inflammation can be caused by increased stomach acid secretion or Helicobacter Pylori infection. Symptoms are usually similar to peptic ulcer.
The main problem in such case is that also stomach cancer can give exactly the same symptoms.
If your pain is located more in the upper right area and radiates to the back, gallstones or gallbladder inflammation should be also considered.
I suggest you to do not wait anymore and visit your doctor. Blood work, abdominal ultrasound should be done at first. Next step should be gastroscopy.
In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee and alcohol.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stomach ache tired low grade fever child
- Cough low grade fever stomach ache
- Stomach ache headache low grade fever
- Child low grade fever stomach ache dizzy fatigue
- Low grade fever sweating back pain stomach ache
- Low grade fever with stomach ache adolescent
- Low grade fever and stomache
- Eyes swelling stomach ache low grade fever
- Low grade fever and stomach ache
- Low grade fever stomach ache fatigue
- Had epigastric hernia repair. Found hard lump at the site of repair....
- Noticed yellow stool after stomach virus. How long will this be? Recovery?
- Noticed black stools and having abdominal pain. Scheduled for endoscopy....
- Symptoms of prostate cancer, scheduled for PSA test. What else could it be?
- Swollen penile skin, watery discharge. Which medicine can be used?
- Had orthognathic surgery for mandibular prognathism. Got infection after...
- Have lump attached to testicle. Can this develop into cancer? What...
- Intermittent occurrence of blood in urine. CT scans normal. Best...
- What is done if surgery is necessary for peptic ulcer?
- Having irritation in throat. Feeling vomiting. What to do?