Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Recurrent ear discharge. Suggest treatment

Aug 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1025 Questions
Ears that have a discharge that drys on the outside of the ear and inside to a clear grainy type substance
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 29 minutes later
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

Since you have not mentioned which ear, I will assume that you are getting recurrent ear discharge from both the ears. In any case the treatment remains the same. You need to do the following:

1. If the discharge is present now and is foul smelling or very copious then you must start a course of antibiotics and anti histamine after pus culture testing. Ask your doctor about this

2. You may also use an local antibiotic ear drop in consultation with your doctor

3. Do not take head bath for the next one week or put oil to your hair

4. do not put ear buds or try to clean the ear by yourself

5. Do get an audiometry testing and a CT of the temporal bone done when the discharge is under control and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report so that a permanent solution can be sought

6. Avoid any water to enter the ear. For this take a piece of clean cotton, dip in Vaseline and squeeze it nicely and place it in the entrance of your ear canal.

7. Keep you diabetes under strict and good control for the infection to be controlled properly

Some amount of discharge is usual in any ear infection so do not worry, if it persists and is recurrent only then get the advocated testing done

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to answer any more

take care and get well soon


Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor