Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Recently smoked meth and then breastfed the child. Will it effect my child?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1560 Questions
Hello, I recently smoked meth & then Breastfed my 5 day old baby without knowing it would be in the breast milk... Will my baby be ok? Very worried... I am not an addict & have only done it once. Please help
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Meth is methamphetamine and is a highly addictive substance and you need to stay away from it. It is NOT good for you or your baby. It crosses the placenta and can cause effects on brain even in small quantities. Thus do not take it again. It may remain in blood for many months. Thus it is hard to say if you can restart breast feeding. Maybe you should consult your doctor to check if you can restart breast feeding. If you are giving formula milk, then avoid omega 3, 6 , 9 fatty acids in it as they may also cause restlessness in the baby. Thus the effects can be many. Now you need to compose yourself and get prepared to take care of your baby. He may experience some symptoms like irritability, restlessness, difficulty in sucking milk, tensed muscles, sensitivity to touch, etc. Long term effects are usually on the brain. These effects can include developmental delays, neurological abnormalities, learning disabilities, etc. Withdrawal symptoms may also be seen. We can just hope that it did not cross the placenta in large doses. I am sorry, you and your baby are facing this situation. The best way to prevent this situation is to not take it again. Take care Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor