Rashes appeared on palm. Feeling pain in elbow and toe. Test showed high uric acid. Any advice?

Dr. Atul Wankhede

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor
Whenever I'm playing some sport or into some physical activity, I'm suffering localised pain in the elbow area(just below my biceps and above my fore-arm ..i.e., just above my elbow) and my toe(just above my feet)..Pain subsides after few days. I'm suffering this from past 3plus years.
I have a rash that comes up exactly on my left palm on the same place every once in a while and remains for almost a month or so. And, dissapears.
I had consulted a doc before. He mentioned that my uric acid is high. I'm not convinced though. And terrible to go through this in my age(28 Years Old, Male from Bangalore - XXXXXXX Technologies)
Look forward for the best advice.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

It seems your are suffering from muscle fatigue or some sort of ligament sprain in your elbow and foot. If it was anything else you would have got swelling, redness or even inability to use your limb atall. Since it has been there for a few years I think it must be aggravated by certain athletic activity that you might need to avoid in future, temporarily or permanently. Also you must use proper gear while doing so and even consider certain splints that give added support. If there is more than that, you must get it re-examined and investigated with x-ray or MRI. That should, beyond doubt, clear the diagnosis. Use anti inflammatory medicines intermittently to reduce XXXXXXX inflammation and in turn the pain.

The rash needs to be evaluated by a dermatologist. But if your physician says its due to raised uric acid, I'm sure he must have prescribed uric acid reducing medications and suggested diet that helps prevent its rise in blood levels.

Hope that answers your query. For any further doubts, I'm available for follow up.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Atul Wankhede 11 hours later
Hi Dr. Wankhede,

Many thanks for the advice. Although I've not observed any swelling, pain has been consistently occuring and dissappearing(causing pain top of foot near ankle and below my biceps, just above the place where they put drips - above my elbow).

Whenever there's physical activity - running, playing a sport. What worries me is that I've observed this since, 2009. And, just want to understand what exactly is happening to me. And, be sure of the ways that I can take precautions after that.

Please advice. Many thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for replying back.

As I previously mentioned, it looks like muscle fatigue or some sort of sprain which can be confirmed only by thorough clinical examination and by relevant examination. The only good thing about it is that it is on-off phenomenon. Which means it heals and due to certain activity reappears.

The precautions you must take is eleminate any cause that aggravates the symptoms, like sitting in a posture for long time or running or any other sporting activity. This may be done temporarily or might be required permanently. Try to find out other reasons right from morning to the time you go to bed that stimulate pain and abstain from it. Also avoid taking medications for long. As previously said, use proper sporting gear while involved in any.

Hope this answer was informative. Thank you for choosing Healthcare Magic.
Regards.