How can a carpal bone jutting out after a fall on the wrist be treated?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: One of my carpal bones is sticking out I fell backwards on my wrist what might this be..I can’t bend my wrist fully back and I can’t put pressure down on it..it only hurts if I put pressure on it
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go in to be seen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If you landed on your wrist with your wrist flexed, this may be a Colles' fracture. This type of fracture involves the end of the radius bone. It may also be a carpal fracture (usually involves the capitate, scaphoid, or navicular bones).

It's also possible that it is a sprain rather than a fracture, given that it only hurts when you put pressure on it. But it is important to have it evaluated with at least a physical exam by a doctor.

You may need an x-ray to assess what exactly is going on. You will likely need a splint or cast, and depending on the severity of the injury, you may need an orthopedic consult as well. If a fracture is displaced, failure to treat it can cause long term problems.

In the meantime immobilize your wrist to protect it and don't use that wrist until it has been assessed.