Can renal issues cause backache on the right-side below the waist?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I'm having pain on the right side of my back just below my waist. I've had it for a couple of weeks now. Is that where your kidneys are?
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscle pain.

Detailed Answer:
The pain below the waist is less likely to be due to a renal pain. The kidneys are located at the level of the waist. A muscle sprain also needs to be ruled out. In case the pain subsides with Naproxen rest and hot compress then a muscle pain is more likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Can renal issues cause backache on the right-side below the waist? 20 hours later
It's under my right back ribcage. If it's been hurting for 2 weeks it doesn't seem like a pulled muscle and the naproxin doesn't help.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be renal cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If naproxen is not helping and the pain is not aggravated with change in posture then it can be renal pain. A renal calculus or infection can be ruled out after a urine test and ultrasound scan.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.