Proper treatment for refractory groin rash

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: I have what appears to be a refractory groin rash - have had it for years and have treated with tinear spray. I am 72 years old.
Current medication is Atorvastatin, Progout 100mg, Glucosamine 1500mg once daily, and Panadol one-a-day for arthritis pain.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 4 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

From your description it seems that you might be having intertrigo which is mixed bacterial and fungal infection.

it has to be treated with a combination of antibiotic and antifungal cream like Bactroban and Lotrimin creams which contain mupirocin and clotrimazole.

it has to be applied twice a day for two weeks.

After two weeks an antifungal dusting power should be used after bath daily.

It happens due to increased heat, humidity, sweating and occlusion.

Hence these factors need to be eliminated. Bathing twice a day will be helpful.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

regards.