Prescribed retin-a micro gel for wart on forehead. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a flat wart on my forehead that I've had for a couple years. I have been to the dermatologist and he prescribed retin-a micro gel. I have used that for 6 months and it hasn't worked on the wart. What other things can I use to get rid of this wart? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Flat warts are skin coloured flat lesions over skin. These are caused by papilloma virus.
The treatment advised by your dermatologist was apt. Retino A being a keratolytic helps in treating flat warts.
You may try applying a salicylic acid ointment over the wart using a tooth pick, protect the surrounding areas by applying a petroleum jelly. Daily application will peel off the superficial layers and hence remove the wart.

Other option would be weekly spot chemical peel with trichloroacetic acid till the wart goes away.

However the best and definite single sitting treatment is to get the lesion cauterised either by electro cautery or radio frequency cautery.

I would advice you to get it cauterised. You may contact your dermatologist for the same.
Hope that answers your query. Should there be more query,I would be happy to assist you further.