Pregnant, constipation, miscarriages

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: i have been really constaped and im 8 weeks pregnant and had some prown stuff come out today could the contupation have something to do with it i am having no pain or cramping but have had 3 misscarriags
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

It is very unlikely for constipation to cause any vaginal spotting or brownish discharge in pregnancy. Given your history of recurrent miscarriages, the brownish spotting should be evaluated.

After 8 weeks of pregnancy, this spotting can be due to hormonal imbalance or corpus luteum defect (the corpus luteum secretes the hormones for sustaining pregnancy till 12 weeks after which placenta takes over). In corpus luteum defects, there is increased brownish spotting and if this is the cause then you may need progesterone supplements till 12 weeks of pregnancy. It can also be due to an impending miscarriage if there is an associated abdominal pain or cramps and the spotting turns to XXXXXXX bleeding.

I suggest you to consult a gynecologist and get a through physical examination done. Along with these, certain investigations are needed which include:

Blood sugar levels, ultrasound and CT scan of uterus and cervix, genetic study of both the partners, hormone levels of the mother like FSH, LH, PROLACTIN, HCG levels, progesterone levels, cervical swab and blood tests for TORCH infections.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.