Pregnant. Taking nitrofurantoin for frequent urination. Chunks appearing in urine. Should I be worried?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, Im 7 weeks pregnant. I have inflammation on the lower abdomen and frecuent urination. with a sense of urgency. Went to Dr and prescribed me antibiotics -Nitrofurantoin 100mg--thinking it was a UTI. Urine test came back negative for bacteria. Now, when I urinate I have large brownish grey chunks that appear like some type of tissue. The largest one sized 1cm to 2cm long but not stringy. They look like chunks. Should I worry about it? Please help. I will not be able to see myOBGYN until Tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the picture you uploaded, does not looks like to appear in urine. Most probably, it is coming out from your vagina. It is not a UTI.

And, it looks like some part of placental tissue.

It is not a good sign.

You need an urgent ultrasound scan of abdomen to rule out any possibility of missed / spontaneous abortion.

Rush to Emergency department of nearby hospital, if your treating doctor is not available right now.

Next management should be done according to the ultrasound scan report.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 4 minutes later
I will go to the ER right now. Im worried now

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, you should go to ER right now.

Regards.