Pregnant. Taking citrakala and levofloxacin 500 for UTI. Any harm to fetus?

Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, i am XXXXXXX,
26 years old, pregnant woman ,
Currently in 33 weeks .

while passing urine i feel pain, so i consulted a local doctor, she asked me to undergo urine culture test.
test was positive (urinary infection). so she asked me take citrakala and levofloxacin 500 tablet.

i heard levofloxacin 500 is antibiotic.
would this affect my fetus?
she has asked me to take this tablet daily once.

what are the other things i could do to overcome urinary infection.
also any other tips for my pregnancy.

Thanks, XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Levofloxacin is antibiotic and to be avoided in the early part of pregnancy; since you are now 33 weeks you can take it.

To prevent further infection, take a lot of fluids, use condom during sex and avoid using public toilet as much as possible especially during pregnancy. Do not wear undergarment at bedtime to ensure adequate ventilation of vagina.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad