Pregnant. Prescribed ecosprin for high blood pressure. Is this safe during pregnancy?
Thanks for the query.
Ecosprin contains aspirin, which belongs to category C drug in pregnancy according to FDA category.
Means animal studies showed some adverse effects on the fetus but human studies are lacking.
So this drug can be used when benefits over weigh the risks.
As your wife is in early gestational age, she may use the tablets till the fetus attains maturity like up to 28 to 30 weeks as recommended by your doctor.
After that she may discontinue the drug after consulting your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Our doctor prescribed this as her pressure was on the higher side and also please be informed that my wife came down to India to be with her parents for few days and will be travelling back along with me on 6hrs flight on 3 April to be with me at my work place. Now being with her parents she did have various food which surely had high salt content in it. What I would like know is that is it necessary for her to consume ecosprin 75 as her pressure levels are 140/90 or can she omit it by controlling her diet...
Actually 140/90 is the borderline blood pressure, above which can be termed as hypertension.
Salt restriction may have some impact but it may not completely control the blood pressure.
So as there are three days remaining for your journey, you observe her blood pressure twice a day in these days.
If the blood pressure comes to normal level with salt restriction she can continue the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups or if the blood pressure remains high better to start the medicine.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- High blood pressure early pregnancy
- High blood pressure during pregnancy and jittery
- Is 16686 high blood pressure during pregnancy
- What is the treatment for high blood pressure during pregnancy
- High blood pressure and hypoproteinemia and pregnant
- High blood pressure in pregnancy
- Is 15193 high blood pressure and pregnant
- High blood pressure during pregnancy
- High blood pressure while pregnant
- Ways to reduce high blood pressure during pregnancy
- EMG report enclosed. Feeling warm hands & face, hematuria, stiffness,...
- Irritable sensation on the tongue. Poor perception of smell and taste....
- Took Ipill a while after period. How long will the affect last? Will it...
- What is the meaning of high eosinophil levels?
- Use multivitamins when stressed and depressed. Why is my face red and...
- Periods not stopping, light flow, cramping, losing weight, tests normal....
- Infrequent Stomach pain, nausea. Had Appendicitis inflammation. Are they...
- Can pomegranate be taken during pregnancy?
- Low platelet count due to Epstein-Barr viral infection. Swollen lymph...
- Egg ruptured, missed period. Taking Krimson35, asked to stop this....