Pregnant. Accidentally inhaled goof off rust stain remover. Should I be worried?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I accidentally inhaled "good off" for a very brief time and I am about 6 weeks pregnant ... should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 42 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
I believe you’re talking about Goof off stain/rust remover. Let me know if this is right.
Please do not worry if that is the case.
You probably inhaled the product for a very brief time period, otherwise, with severe and prolonged exposure you already would be having side effects like dizziness, respiratory discomfort, breathing spasm and for very severe exposure - coma etc.
Since the inhalation was very brief, it is nothing to worry, as it would not affect the baby in any way.
Goof off contains xylene, a toxic chemical, but not at all XXXXXXX in such brief inhalation exposure.
Meanwhile, stay hydrated, avoid smoking/drinking/heavy caffeine intake, eat fresh and hygienic food, avoid canned food, limit direct contact with animals/pets, and take regular prenatal vitamins as prescribed.
Let me know if you have any other questions
Enjoy your pregnancy !

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. Abraham! Yes, xylene was what I was worried about ... you have put my mind at ease ... thanks again! Take care!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
You too, XXXXXXX.
Please close this discussion if you have no more questions