Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Pins inserted in fractured hip bones. Doing physical therapy. Could it be a severe muscle injury in the groin?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
Hi..I am a 72yr. old female..fractured my hip 6 months ago and I had 4 pins inserted. The moment I got up after falling and breaking it, I had this awful pain in my groin. I still had it after the hip was repaired and I still have it when I am doing physical therapy. The therapist does not know what is causing it, and it is hampering my strength training because of the pain. The surgeon sluffs it off as part of the hip injury, but it has never gotten better. Could it be a severe muscle injury in the groin? It hurt so much I am considering quiting PT and asking for more intensive x-rays of my groin area. Have you heard of severe pain in the groin after a hip fracture, and what could be causing it? I hope you have some suggestions, as my Drs. do not seem interested. Meanwhile, I am in pain when I just walk. Please give me some help. I have osteo,and a fractured disk in my back. Until this injury, I was vey atheletic. and used to do dog agility...running with my dog.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A fractured hip is usually associated with the soft tissue injury of the surrounding structures also. Such soft tissue injuries usually heal in 8-10 weeks on taking adequate rest. Persistence of pain even six months after an internal fixation might be related to a labral tear which might have happened at the time of fall.
To diagnose the damage, MRI is the best investigation. You can get an MRI done for the proper assessment.
Doing physiotherapy and active exercises in the time of pain is not advisable. You can only indulge in passive stretching of the legs or quadriceps drill till the problem is actually diagnosed.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
Adding calcium and Methylcobalamin supplements to your diet will also be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pins inserted in fractured hip bones. Doing physical therapy. Could it be a severe muscle injury in the groin? 9 minutes later
could you give me more info regarding thr labral tear and what kind of treatment is needed...and how long treatment is needed. The pain is awful, and I think my doctors have been ignoring it too long.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In case it is actually a labral tear then conservative treatment or arthroscopic repair is considered according to the site and extent of tear.
You need to get an MRI done and find out the cause of such a pain. The treatment will then be decided according to the problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor