What causes right ear pain while on Acyclovir?

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I've had an eye problems since August 30th. ? I got it while at the dentist office August 22. He announced he was tired and just flew in from XXXXXXX and England. He wore no mask as he inserted final crown on upper right. When his receptionist handed me appointment card she was only inches from my face and I felt her saliva hit my right eye. Somehow I forgot about this and went on my other errands. On Aug 30th I woke up with huge sore right eye pain. I was to have orthopedic surgery 2 days later, orthopedist said she eye doctor. I did, She ordered antibiotic eye drops, had me come to see her every 3 days. She called associate, said they thought could be herpes. Sent to ophthalmologist who concluded it was herpes. I was prescribed Acyclovir 400mg x 5/day...my arms broke out in rash. Glad not my face. I have runny nose, eye pain, bad right ear ache. I developed UTI. Just finished Bactrim bid for 5 days, resolved. Right ear pain is huge. My PCP away. Her PA saw me but limited. I need to see ENT MD. What do you think about Zirgan gel for herpes eye problem. My vision is good in that eye. I'm 75, very youthful, attractive, retired RN, no glasses, slight cataract on left. Will these herpes symptoms ever go away??? I did have arthroscopic surgery on left knee, all is ok.Please send response regarding herpes eye infection to my email which is YYYY@YYYY Thank you. Also, I'm a breast cancer survivor! Mastectomy, implant, chemo, radiation.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can definiteluy use it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for choosing this forum for asking your query.

Have read the narration given by you.
Ganciclovir gel is used to treat eye ulcers caused by the herpes simplex virus.Ganciclovir ophthalmic gel, 0.15% is an effective and well tolerated antiviral treatment for superficial acute herpetic keratitis and it represents an advance in the treatment of this condition.
So yes you can use it in your effected eye two times a day for 14 days.
Its an antiviral and is very effective in treating opthamic herpes.
If possible please attach a picture of your eye dear i want to have a look at it.

Yes it would definitely go away with proper management however recurrence is seen in almost 50% of patient within 10 years as this virus remains dormant in dorsal root of spinal cord and may periodicaly become active again.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist