Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Pinkish discharge after miscarriage. Is it normal?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1968
Answered : 298 Questions
I had a miscarriage and 6 days later I have gushes of pink fluid coming out of me. What is happening?
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here are probably gushes of amniotic fluid and 'retained products' of conception. Even after six days this should not alarm you too much. The chance are that everything will settle down in the next few days. It is when one goes on loosing blood that there might be concern.

The worst that might happen is that you will need to have a D&C. Take your time however and do not rush into this. You are going to be fine!

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pinkish discharge after miscarriage. Is it normal? 5 hours later
Dr. Rynne, thank you for your time and help. I have not bled much at all, just some old, brown blood for a couple of days after the miscarriage when the tissue came out. I would imagine that the amniotic fluid would have drained out when I passed that. How could I still have a bag of water when I saw the embryo almost a week earlier? Is it possible that there were 2 babies? This is my 5th miscarriage, but the first without heavy bleeding and I've never had anything like this happen.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 8 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for your follow up question.

If you are concerned about there being a second fetus and that this might therefore be an incomplete miscarriage, then you really do not have much choice other than to go into your maternity hospital and have a pelvic ultrasound scan done.

This is the easiest way to determine what's going on inside of your uterus. I hope it all goes well for you.

Andrew Rynne.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor