Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Persistent lower back pain, move or balm not relieving the pain, comfortable standing. What is wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 599 Questions
This query is for my wife, she is feeling continuous back pain and at right-lower side. She feel comfortable while she is standing but in case she try to seat or sleep she often feel pain at back and the lower portions (Right side).
We are staying at Palmbeach Road, Sanpada (Navi Mumabi), and nearby we have XXXXXXX Mulit-specialist Nero Hospital. And we are planning to visit this weekend. Please advise or suggest.

She use to apply MOVE/DALM but now it is not giving any relief.
Note: She often lift the kid or use ladder while holding the kid (but for few minutes).
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query here.

From the history posted, I suggest the following:

1. Your wife has complaint of back ache on and off since 6 months after an episode of "sprain" in the back. It could currently be paraspinal muscle spasm, cartilage injury / inflammation, disc bulge / injury.

2. Oral medications such as combination of analgesic + anti inflammatory drugs are very effective these conditions. Her primary doctor can prescribe these drugs to her.
Meanwhile she may continue with topical analgesic + anti inflammatory ointment. Avoid strenuous physical activities

3. Consider consulting an orthopedic who can clinically examine her and accordingly advise radiological investigation (X XXXXXXX / MRI spine) to determine the etiology of back ache and suggest treatment thereby.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Persistent lower back pain, move or balm not relieving the pain, comfortable standing. What is wrong? 2 hours later
The answers you have provided might be good for a doctor or science student to understand it. But I am not able to understand it completely. But yes, your 3rd point is understood by me somewhat. And for so I am expecting some name of good orthopedic doctors in my region. As I mentioned I am staying at Sanpada, Navi Mumbai. Is it possible to get this answer.
And I saw you are “Pulmonologist” so; is that not a way to redirect my question to an “orthopedic”? So that I can either take appointment/advice from him or he can suggest me some good doctors.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 44 minutes later

Thanks for posting the follow up.

Since your question was in the general category and not specialist category, I answered it.

I would like to simplify my suggestions :
1. Since the back pain is from 6 months, there are chances of minor injuries in the back-bones or back muscles.
2. In the mean time, simple pain and inflammation (swelling) reliever tablets can be taken. I believe that the previous medicines advised by the doctors for "trial" would have been the pain and inflammation reliever tablets and you can continue those medications in the mean time.
3. Your wife needs to be clinically examined by the Orthopedic/spine surgeon since without clinical examination and investigations (xray/ MRI spine) it will not be able to pin point the diagnosis.
4. Below is the information of orthopedicians in your vicinity:

-Dr. Dharmaraj XXXXXXX Orthopedic Surgeon
XXXXXXX Hospital,
XXXXXXX Shopping Complex,
Sector 15, Nerul, Navi Mumbai - 0000
Tel:- +91- 22- 0000 / 0000 / 0000

-Dr. Sonawane hospital , Nerul
Phone: 022- 0000 mobile:0000

-DR XXXXXXX MAHESHWARI :Senior Orthopedician :
Tel : 0000 0000
Available at various hospitals in
Vashi, Nerul, CBD (Belapur), Kharghar, Panvel Navi Mumbai (New Bombay)

Or, There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope I have answered your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor