Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Pelvic pain. CT showed pelviectasis and calcification. No kidney stones. Colonoscopy showed diverticulosis, Further evaluation needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10450 Questions
I had a CT Abdoem and Pelvis because of lower left pelvic pain continuing for months. I had a colonoscopy that only revealed mild diverticulosis. The CT found mild pelviectasis in the right and left kidneys and a mildly distended bladder with a right kidney slighlty horizontal in position with a questionable one 1mm calcification in the left mid kidney versus artifact. No kidney stones or renal calcifications or distal ureter sctones. There are left intrapelvic phleboliths. Dr. said to follow up with urologist, but did not explain much more than that. Is further cost necessary for a specialist, or are any of these findings something to be concerned about for further evaluation? The pain is relatively mild but I don't want to overlook underlying symptoms if there are any. If so, what kind of tests would be recommended so I can do further research.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Mild pelviectasis in both the kidneys indicates mildly dilated renal drainage system which can happen due to chronic renal infections or urinary infections or renal calculi.

Renal calculi have been ruled out. Going for renal function tests and a routine urine examination will help in detecting any pathology. The changes seen on your CT might be just a normal variation and are not necessarily indicative of a disease process.

If your renal functions come normal and there is no urinary infection then you can avoid your visit to the urologist.

The pain in the lower abdomen might be due to diverticulosis which needs further treatment by a gastroenterologist.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor