Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Pain in the knee due to injury.Waiting for MRI reports. Advice?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I injured my Knee 3 years ago , and the pain has come back to haunt me . I just recently had an mri done and wont know results till friday. Can you assist ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I reviewed the image which you submitted related to the M are I of your knee. It is very difficult to render a diagnosis with only a single image. A typical MRI will have almost 100 images associated with it.

From the image you submitted I do not see any obvious structural abnormalities. There are some subtle signal changes which may be reflective of inflammation around the joint capsule as well as near the kneecap. if you would like to give me some more details regarding the nature of your injury this could also be helpful regarding interpretation of the MRI results.

In light of the fact that I have seen some inflammation around the knee I would recommend that you begin a regimen of aggressive anti-inflammatory medications.
This would include something like ibuprofen 600 or 800 mg three times per day. Alternatively you may use naproxen 500 mg twice daily. I would use one of these regimens for at least 14 to 21 days. at that point you could perhaps have your knee reassessed. In addition it might not be a bad idea for you to perform some physical therapy and some strengthening exercises of the muscles surrounding your knee. A good physical therapist will be able to go through some of these exercises for you.

Thank you again for some of your question. I hope you found this to be a very informative experience. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in the knee due to injury.Waiting for MRI reports. Advice? 18 hours later
I got the raport from the MRI doctor and it is as follows :

Impression: Undersurface flap tear posterior horn of the medial menicus with marrow edema in theadjacent tibil plateau rim.

Do you know what that means ? Im not sure !
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

Thank you for giving me the additional information regarding the report that the radiologist has submitted.

The radiologist has noticed that there is a small tear in the medial meniscus. The meniscus is a small soft tissue area along the inside of the knee that helps stabilize the actual knee joint. I suspect that you may have suffered some type of injury where your knee was hit from the outside or the lateral side. This sometimes puts a lot of pressure on the inside of the knee and can cause a tear.

The other reaction which the radiologist has described is not uncommon and most likely represents your body responding to the injury. Your body has responded with some swelling in the area of the top of your lower leg bone, the tibia. I think this is relatively common to see in the setting of an injury.

I would recommend that with the MRI findings you have described that you discussed this with an orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon may just recommend that you rest and use anti-inflammatory medications for now. If you're having a lot of symptoms however the doctor may recommend a small procedure where she might be able to remove any inflammatory tissue or scar tissue that might be causing problems with the knee. If there is a lot of fluid sometimes the doctor can remove that as well.

I would not be alarmed by the findings of the MRI. I think it is reflective of an injury and your body will slowly recover. What remains to be seen is if you really need some type of procedure to help improve your recovery and minimize symptoms.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I remain available for any additional follow-ups.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor