• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in the knees?

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,

I have been having knee pain with minor swelling near my medial meniscus/patella. I can feel a few bumps in there that are sore. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.

To recapitulate: Female/42 - consulted a Doctor - no medications tried - knee pain - minor swelling near medial meniscus/patella - sore few bumps can be felt - want to know what these could be ...

Please give few additional information for me to assist you better:

Since when are the symptoms and bumps present?
Any history of direct or indirect trauma like slipping, twisting, accident or so?
Is the pain on the outer side of the knee or within it?
Any crepitus while moving the knee joint?
Which side - right or left?
Any other problems like diabetes or any other medical condition?

Please give these details as this help to pinpoint the diagnosis and allow the further investigations if needed for confirmation and plan of management.

If the swelling or bumps are visible, please post clear and focused photos of both knees for comparison as this help sometimes for on-the-spot diagnosis. Please upload/attach photos if possible.

Awaiting your feedback...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 58 minutes later
No recent injuries that I can think but in 1992, I ran full speed into a fence playing softball and this knee (left) took the blunt of the trauma. Then I reinjured it sliding when steeling bases in 1994. The bumps aren’t visible from the skin or by picture but can feel them and they seem to be above the medial meniscus. It is swollen with tenderness. Also, over the last several months my knee has locked up briefly about 4 times going down the stairs. Then during the night, I have some stabbing pains what feels to be beneath the patella. I’ve already had meniscus surgery on my right knee to remove a piece that was torn and not ablle to fix. I am not sure what caused that tear. I’m guessing years of playing softball.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.

Injuries way back in 1992 and 1994 may not be the cause after such a long time for the left side knee problem and you have had surgery on the right side.

Since there is a history of locking up of the left knee 4 times while going down the stairs indicate internal problems too which may have caused the synovial membrane inflammation and/or bursitis to give the swelling and tender palpable lump superficially as these can be palpated.

There can be cyst formation in the affected areas.

The only way to have confirmation of the exact diagnosis is to go for high-resolution ultrasonography and an MRI study so that further management can be planned.

Till then take care not to put more strain on the joint.
Use protective and supportive kneecaps.
Avoid any movements that can cause more trauma and inflammation.
Use support while going up or down the stairs.
Take an anti-inflammatory medication which suits you for swelling and pain.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please get the investigations done and give the feedback about the progress, reports, and management accordingly.

With regards

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon