Pain in neck after lifting excess weight. Is it safe to take muscle anti inflammatory gel and pain killer?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I lifted excess weight in the Gym yesterday while doing shoulder exercises. Due to this I have got a terrible pain in my neck and am unable to move it since yesterday. There is only limited movement and any movement of the neck - upwards or downwards causes a lot of pain. I have applied a muscle anti inflamatory gel and have taken a pain killer (nimuslide) for the same. Kindly advise if this is okay or should I change the medication ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
From the description that you have provided, it seems that you have suffered a muscle sprain due to the exercise. You need to provide rest to the neck- preferably use a cervical collar. Avoid massaging the area. Doing a hot fomentation will be helpful. Avoid all overhead activities and do not use a pillow.
In case the pain is persistent even after taking a mild pain killer, then you might need stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.