Pain in knee, thigh and buttock while walking or sleeping. Treatment options and home remedies?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Doctor,
I have been experiencing pain in my left knee , thigh and buttock for a month.
I am not able to sit for long time and feel the knee pain in thigh and knee muscleswhen walking and when sleeping on leftleg side.
I find discomfort and pain while sleeping sideways.
Is my buttock pain of sciatic nerve inflammation problem.?
Could you please advise the treatment options and home remedies available for the same?
will swimming or any exercise help me in curing my back pain which i have been suffering from last two years because disc bulge at L4-L5 ?
Requesting all your advices.
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello.

Your symptoms are likely to be due to spine can cause pain to radiate along the path of the nerve through the buttock and down the leg (also called sciatica or a radiculopathy).

There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root blocks.Most of the time, a bulging disc will heal on its own, but in a certain percentage of cases, surgery might needed.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to alleviate stress on disc.I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Motrin to reduce the inflammation over nerve roots.
• Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 41 minutes later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Request you advise more on treatment modalities available for this problem.

Let me tell you I have back pain on the right side and now the knee pain is on the left side along with left thigh pain.

And as I said the left buttock pains if I sit for long time.

I tried Epidoral injection a year back and it had given a short term relief.

Request you to advise how to deal with all these pains.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back.

With good physiotherapy you will be able to deal with all these pains.

Stretching exercises work best for reducing pain, while strengthening exercises are best for improving function.

Exercises for back pain include:
•Low Impact Aerobic Exercises. Low-impact aerobic exercises, such as swimming, bicycling, and walking can strengthen muscles in the abdomen and back without over-straining the back.

•Spine Stabilization and Strength Training. Exercises called lumbar extension strength training are proving to be effective. Generally, these exercises attempt to strengthen the abdomen, improve lower back mobility, strength, and endurance, and enhance flexibility in the hip, the hamstring muscles, and the tendons at the back of the thigh.

•Flexibility Exercises. Flexibility exercises may help reduce pain. A stretching program may work best when combined with strengthening exercises.

Stretching Lower-Back Muscles. The following are three exercises for stretching the lower back:
•Lie on the back with knees bent and legs together. Keeping arms at the sides, slowly roll the knees over to one side until totally relaxed. Hold this position for about 20 seconds (while breathing evenly) and then repeat on the other side.
•Lying on the back, hold one knee and pull it gently toward the chest. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat with the other knee.
•While supported on hands and knees, lift and straighten right hand and left leg at the same time. Hold for 3 seconds while tightening the abdominal muscles. The back should be straight. Alternate with the other arm and leg and repeat on each side 8 - 20 times.

Other physical therapy like Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy, Intermittent lumbar traction might help to deal with these pain.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon