Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Pain in groin, like epididymitis. Prolonged pain and urge to urinate but burns. What disease can it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
persistent symptoms, negative tests
Hi, about three weeks ago, I saw a GP with pain in my groin region that felt like epididymitis, which I had had one year prior. I had had prolonged pain after urinating, and a persistent need to urinate, which transformed into pain in my testicles and in the surrounding area. I was prescribed azithromycin. This did not help, so a week later I was tested for chlamydiae, gonorrhea, and a UTI, and test results came back negative. I was scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow. By yesterday, the pain had become almost constant and focused in my groin area -- in my inner thigh, under my testicles with shooting pain reaching my testicles themselves. Nothing hurt (or presently hurts) to touch. Because I am scheduled to travel to the United States this Friday, I decided to go to an Emergency Room. They took blood and urine and examined me at the ER. I don't know exactly what I was tested for, but all the tests came back negative. They said that there was no indication that my body was fighting an infection. Today, I am back to having a strong urge to urinate, even when I can't, with burning pain, and radiating groin pain. I have had symptoms for about 3 weeks.

Additional information: I take Sybicort for asthma and Finasteride. Also, I have had one problem since childhood that might be relevant. Often, though not invariably, after I ejaculate, I have symptoms like some of those described above for between 10 minutes and 1 hour. In particular, I feel burning pain and a persistent need to urinate, even if I cannot. I have never had the matter looked at.

1. What remaining diseases do you think it would be worth looking into? Does anything serious jump out at you?
2. Is there any reason that I should not travel to the United States next week in my condition (I do not seem to be otherwise ill -- normal energy, etc.)?
3. Anything else I should know?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later


Inspite of negative tests you still can have Epididymitis. Epididymitis can be chemical or infective. If during normal course of things you had difficulty in passing urine you can develop chemical epididymitis and all your tests would come negative.

I am interested to know why you are on finasteride and what your age is.

All your symptoms after ejaculation are normal and don't have any relation to your present condition.

You should certainly get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis region done and rule out stone disease. Once your stone disease is ruled out and you are started on treatment for your epididymitis I don't see any reason why you cannot travel to United States.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Pain in groin, like epididymitis. Prolonged pain and urge to urinate but burns. What disease can it be? 3 days later
Thanks very much for the helpful response.

I had an ultrasound today, and the person who performed it said that it looked completely normal -- not even any inflammation. I am on finasteride for hair loss. I have been on it for 5 years or more without any significant side effects. I am 28. What is the treatment for chemical epididymitis?

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

Good to hear that your ultrasound is normal and hence you can travel to states.

I sincerely believe that you should stop worrying about hair loss and stop finasteride to avoid its side effects.

Treatment for chemical epididymitis is nothing much other than scrotal elevation with scrotal supporter and antiinflammatory agents. In addition, I usually put my patients on alpha blockers to make them void better ad thus prevent reflux of urine into ejaculatory ducts.

You can discuss these treatment options with your doctor.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor