Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Overweight,is folic acid supplements and pre check up advisable before planning pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
Do I need a pre check up before trying for a baby? Do I need to take Folic Acids from now itself? Can this be taken without visiting the doctor? If so in what amounts should I take?

My Height is 153 cm and Weight 65 kg, need to know if it is safe to try for a baby or should wait till I can reduce?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

It is ideal for a woman planning for a baby, to go in for a pre check up .This would include a general physical examination and some blood and urine investigations. If the test reports are not normal , steps could be taken to plan your pregnancy accordingly. Pre check up is not considered a routine for planning a pregnancy.

Since your BMI is 28, it is classified under "over weight " category.Though this may not interfere with the chances of pregnancy,keeping a watch on your weight gain would be helpful. It is not mandatory that you need to lose weight and then plan the pregnancy, you can go ahead with it now if you wish to.

Folic acid supplements can be started one month prior to pregnancy, this would prevent the chances of a miscarriage and neural abnormalities in the child.Folic acid has known to help in good brain growth , hence it is recommended for all pregnant women in the initial 3 months of pregnancy.

The ideal dose of folic acid would be 0.5mg/day.You may start it before a month of planning conception and continue for 3 months of pregnancy.

I suggest you see a Obstetrician for this, as you may need to get the investigations done as well. Once you get pregnant, routine blood and urine investigations become necessary along with an ultrasound scan.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor