On pill. Having spotting because of stress. What can be done?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am on pills for about 5 years and I have had spotting before given a stress time. At this time I got it again but I am pretty sure stress is not the case. I didn't miss any pills and I take it pretty much at the same time everyday. Any suggestions of what can it be?
I also started to exercise more often and it has been 5 months since then.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for querying.

I had gone through your history in detail.

There are several reasons of inter menstrual bleeding or spotting besides Stress factor like hormonal imbalance, Anxiety, Thyroid problem, Psychological upset, Weight gain or extreme loss, Irregular eating habits etc.

Prolonged pill users (5yrs in your case) have some side effects including spotting.
You may require initial investigations like Ultrasonography (USG) lower abdomen, Thyroid profile, LH/FSH to rule out underlying pathology if any.

Please do consult with your gynecologist after getting test reports and take suggestive measures.

Please do the following things:

1) Avoid salty or fatty food/coffee in 2nd half of periods,
2) Eat leafy vegetables and drink lots of fluid/water
3) Avoid stress by doing regular XXXXXXX breathing/yoga
4) Take healthy diet with Haematinics /Iron supplements
5) Maintain genital hygiene
6) Need adequate rest and proper sleep
7) May need to change current pill to treat
8) Continue light exercise & control body weight.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and give feedback.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E