On medicine for vitamin d deficiency. Pregnant and having ear pain. What should I do?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi iam currently 1 month pregnant and suffer from vitamin d deficiency (14.6mnol) two months ago and been on supplement of 0000 ui a day since and used to take some magnesium .
Since i got pregnant i experienced some electrical pain in my right ear , chest then right in the middle of my chet for about 2 scd whle i was cooking.
Could it be a lack of magnesium should i worry , i stopped the vitamin d supplememt fr 2 days when i found out that i was pregnant and now that ive restarted my treatement i get pain in my sterum which worries me even more
I am really anxious and related or not to my pregnancy yesterday had pain in my thorax and stomach which stopped to leave place to nausea and since i reaaly worry... Since i stopped the magnesium i get palpitation whenever i wake up at night.
I hope you didn mind all those details but i dont know what to do and dont kow if i should worry or not for my heart
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Dear,

All the symptoms you are experiencing can be because of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

GERD is known phenomenon in pregnancy. Increased progesterone secretion during pregnancy relaxes the esophageal sphincter and leads to symptoms of GERD (sternal pain, epigastric pain, nausea, uneasiness).

Magnesium or Vitamin D deficiency cannot lead to these symptoms.

You should see gynecologist, enlist your symptoms and start doxyalamine succinate under his/her care.

All the best

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer , I forgot to mention that the palpitations only happen at night and that the pain on my sternum is really XXXXXXX right in the middle and really ache but even if I just eat pasta (without sauce) and goes away again the first time was really painful but this time was less painful I've got no bp problem not smoking or over indulging myself so hope it can't be heart realated
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later

It does not look like you are having heart problem. The symptoms of palpitations in the night and pain on the sternum may be secondary to GERD. To confirm about the diagnosis, it is very important to be physically examined by a doctor. Please visit your gynecologist and get yourself started on medications as previously advised.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

You are welcome. All the best for your pregnancy.

sincerely

Rajiv goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E