Owl Image

On lisinopril and hydrocholothiazide. Found pregnancy. Are there any side effects to an unborn?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi, Am talking 20mg and 12.5mg of lisinopril and Hydrocholothiazide. and it shows that am pregnant i the pregnancy detecter.and i immidiately stopped taking this medicine. Does this mean this medicine will hurt the baby. Am just 2-3 weeks pregnant. thanks!
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Lisinopril is a category D medication and Hydrochlorthiazide is a category C medication.
It is good that you stopped the medication.
Category C and D medications affect the growing baby and should be avoided during pregnancy.

During the first 2 weeks of pregnancy, it is more of implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus and growth of the baby occurs after that.
Discuss about this with your doctor and get a prescription of an alternative medication which belongs to category A or B.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini