On depo provera. Got spotting and pinkish flesh coming out from vagina. Is it normal?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Question: 2 weeks after going on depo provera injection i started spotting, 2 weeks after that i had bad cramping (could hardly stand up) i then had 2 chunks of pink fleshy stuff come out (abit bigger than 2dollar coin) smooth on one side and rough looking on the other what was it and why did it happen? ive been on depo 2 years ago and just bled the whole time
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details.

Depot shot (depo provera) is very much effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy and to be taken once in 3 months. It has failure rate less than 0.5 per HWY. However, there are several side effects like irregular vaginal bleeding, long time amenorrhea, weight change, breast discomfort, abdominal bloating, headache etc.

But according to your history, it seems to more likely product of conception (pink fleshy stuff) or sign of incomplete abortion associated with failure of depot shot.

Here, I suggest you to undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) for pelvis to rule out retained bits of conception if any or expelled completely. It also helps to rule out ectopic pregnancy.

In case of intrauterine retained bits, you may need to undergo surgical method of abortion (D & C) to evacuate uterus completely.

You may take some hemostatic agent to arrest bleeding temporarily along with anti spasmodic medication for cramp. Also you should take iron supplement with diet and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Please consult with your gynecologist at the earliest for proper guideline and suggestive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.