On consistent diet and walking on treadmill. What could be the reason for weight gain?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 50 yrs weighing 80 kg with a ht of 152 cms. I eat less but not a consistent diet. im not particular on what i eat as long as my stomach is not empty. but im not a snacker. i dont each sweets (very rarely) & XXXXXXX 2 spoons oil daily. I don't know the reason for putting on wt. i work out 4 times a week walking 2.5 kms on treadmill & also cycling. Need your help please.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low calorie diet; increased burnout will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs XXXXXXX

I wish you had given as much details as possible, such as, constant fatigue, lethargy, hair loss, dry skin, constipation, change in voice; increased/decreased thirst/frequency of urination; family history of obesity, hypertension or diabetes.

However, this notwithstanding, three causes of weight increase, come to my mind :-

* Hypothyroidism- characterized by constant fatigue, lethargy, hair loss, dry skin, constipation, change in voice. It is due to deficiency of Thyroid hormone. In this condition, the metabolic process becomes slow.

A Thyroid Hormone levels estimation will confirm/exclude the condition.

If the condition is confirmed, a long-term Thyroid hormone replacement therapy will assist in weight reduction and, other related problems, if any.

* Diabetes :- characterized by increased appetite, increased thirst and increased urine output/increased frequency of urination, particularly at night; and, frequently, weight increase. Gross obesity is the greatest risk factor for developing Diabetes. Hence, diagnostic tests (Blood sugar estimation) is considered as mandatory.

* Genetic predisposition to obesity, as manifested by obesity in the family (parents, siblings and children).

* Lastly, a positive Calorie-balance. Please appreciate that "Energy can neither be created, nor destroyed: it can only be converted from one form to another". Hence, intake of Calories in excess of the body requirement, the excess Calories get converted to fat and deposited in the body.

So, pending the investigations advised, PLEASE FOLLOW THE GOLDEN SCIENTIC RULE :- Burn MORE calories than you take every day : this can be achieved by either REDUCING your calorie intake and, burning more calories than taken. The following precautions will certainly help you in losing weight:-

REDUCE CALORIE INTAKE :-

- Cut down DRASTICALLY on foods with high calories and sugar content, such as refined sugar, ice-cream, confectioneries, pizza, burgers, junk/fast foods, chocolates, candies, alcohol, aerated drinks, white bread, red meat, cheese, butter; poultry products etc..

- Include a plateful of green salads (which are low calorie foods) such as lettuce, radish, cucumber and green leafy vegetables + fruits such as papaya.

- Your menu should include lots of green leafy vegetable and low on fried foods and rice.

- Drink plenty of water every day.

- Cut down on salt intake to 5gms/day.

INCREASE BURNOUT OF CALORIES :- regular exercise, preferably brisk walks, jogging and aerobics; increased frequency and duration of workouts; use of steps instead of elevators etc...

DO NOT INDULGE IN CRASH DIET PROGRAMS or, try the so-called Slimming-Pills, available over the counter.

This is the most scientific way of reducing weight without a fear of rebound increase. It needs eternal patience and determination.

Please do write back to me with the recommended tests' reports, so that I can supplement additional advice.

hope I have answered your query.

Awaiting the tests' reports.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal