Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Numbness in right thigh with a burning sensation. Which specialist should I refer to?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5570 Questions
There is numbness in my right thigh with a burning sensation at times when standing
Which specialist should I go to ?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should see a Neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

These symptoms are suggestive of meralgia paresthetica. In this condition, the nerve supplying the skin over the outer aspect/front of thigh gets affected, which leads to burning, tingling and numbness.

You should see a neurologist for evaluation and confirmation of the diagnosis.
Treatment is with medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin, and the condition improves in a few weeks.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor