question-icon

What are the signs and symptoms of meralgia paraesthetica?

Posted on Sat, 18 Nov 2017
Question: What is the difference between meralgia paresthetic and IT band syndrome. Can both cause nerve like burning shooting pain at the IT distribution area of the thigh?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pain distribution is different.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Well, looking into your problem I'd like to tell you that, in meralgia paraesthetica, more burning and radicular pain is there on the anterolateral part of the thigh.

While in ITBS it is more of pain especially in the knee part and the Oner sign is positive which is a clinical maneuver to stress iliotibial tract and elicit pain. They can be distinguished on clinical examination.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shruti

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist