Noticed spots on back of head. What could it be?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello,

I just noticed a bald spot on the back part my head (thank goodness it's not noticeable). I am a 26 year old female, with a nice head of hair (below shoulders) healthy-not thinning or anything. I had this same thing happen in the same spot about 6-7 years ago, and my hair dresser said she saw it quite often. It went away, and has not bothered me since.
This spot was not there a month ago when I cut my hair, so it must have just happened. I also notice that the spot has stubble on it, so it's not smooth bald - does that mean its growing? I should also mention that I've been pretty stressed over the past couple of months. Maybe this could have something to do with it? Also, I'm especially curious, since it's happening in the same spot as last time.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
You seem to be having a condition called as ALOPECIA AREATA.
It generally starts in teen years and has a tendency for recurrence.
It is not associated with any local pain or itching.
It has been thought to be some sort of a autoimmune disorder where body attacks it's own
Hair follicles and suppress its growth.
It occurs more frequently in people who have affected family members,suggesting that it may be hereditary.
Generally small patches get cured of its own but if the condition is progressive or the patch is big,treatment like local application of MINOXIDIL or STEROID ointment are given.
Stress seems to aggravate the condition.

Consult a dermatologist if the patch is big or causing stress for examination and treatment.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Thanks