Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Noticed small black and red spot on inner left check. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
Hi Ihave small black/red spot on my inner left check there is no lump or pain and I just notice it today what could it be???
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Red spot on the inner side of cheek can be the result of trauma - accidental biting or might be the beginning of an oral ulcer. Rarely this may be a viral or skin infection.

I suggest you to try Benzocaine topical gel on the spot three times a day before meals; take B complex vitamins supplements and avoid spicy foods and very hot beverages. The spots should resolve in a few days. If persisting, please visit your primary health care provider for careful examination.

I hope this is useful to you. In case you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed small black and red spot on inner left check. What could it be? 56 minutes later

Thanks for you reply the color of the spot is more like a black looks like a mole defintely could be resullt of accidental biting but I can't remeber anything else it could be -

Like all I have looked on the internet and everything I brought up said cancer which I know I should not be worried about. I do get ulcers from time to time and this is nothing like it, I do have fillings on that side my mouth so could it be anything else????

Kind Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 51 minutes later

If the color of the spot is black, it is likely a pigmented spot. It usually will fade away with time. However reddish black spot can be due to submucosal hemorrhage due to some injury.

In all possibilities, you need not worry. You should observe it for few weeks.

It will need medical attention if it is accompanied with pain or size of the spot increases.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor