Noticed red fingernails in a newborn. Should I be worried?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My granddaughter born today has XXXXXXX red fingernails is this something to worry about
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query.

Congratulations on the arrival of your granddaughter.

Newborn babies have a wonderful blood supply and are usually pink when they are born.
Nail beds are XXXXXXX in blood supply and thus the fingernails look red in color. There is absolutely no reason to worry if the child is otherwise fine.

Hope this robust baby brings immense XXXXXXX and luck to the family.

If you have any other queries, you can always come back to me. Hope this answers your query. Wishing the child a happy life. Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 7 hours later
I have seen lots of new born babies but my granddaughters fingers looked extremely odd , even the half moons were XXXXXXX red and the nails themselves looked browny red , I have never seen this before
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later

Thank you for your prompt query. Kindly see whether your granddaughter looks red as a whole. There is a condition called polycythemia where a newborn baby's hemoglobin is higher than normal. If it looks abnormally red, enquire about it from the pediatrician and ask for a hemoglobin checkup.

Hope this helps you out. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan