Noticed lump between the thigh and the groin area while changing diaper. What to do?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi ,
Today while changing the diaper of my 11 month baby i discovered a lump between the thigh and the groin. It's a pea shape one. It moves when i touch . But it doesn't seem to hurt her. She eats and sleep very well too. What xan it be ? Please help
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 52 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

The swelling you describe may be one of the following:

1-enlarged groin lymph node.
Is there any skin lesion on the leg or foot of that side?

2- localised infection staring as a bump.

In this case there may be some tenderness or redness around the area

3- it can be a small hernia

This will be reducible non tender and no redness around.

Show the baby to the pediatrician for evaluation.
Nothing to worry!

God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 36 minutes later
It looks like it is the 3rd case, i have an appointment with her pediatrician tomorrow... Thanks so much for your help..God bless you.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 minutes later
Yes, that is the best solution!
Dr Uma