Noticed itchy rashes all over body and getting burning sensation. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: Started with rash around ankles, inside of the knees and on legs and all of the body (approx 2 months ago). Burning sensation and intense itching. Rash went away and few days later experienced low grade fever and really bad joint pain, up to the point I could not walk or lift a cup of water. Felt pain without moving limbs even. Very swollen in general not particularly around joints except for knees which were swollen. Dry cough and dry eyes (watering). Felt better the day after but since then the rash comes and goes (covering all of the body) but not as intense and not with the burning sensation, just the occasional itching. The following 3 weeks, on and off in the evening, I have been experiencing joint pain , low grade fever and fatigue, dry cough, dry eyes (watering) and skin rashes. Extremely tired. What can this be and should I go to the doctor or wait?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms you have described are likely to be related to a generalised viral illness which is commonly associated with such generalised rash and joint pains.
These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets. You can also take acetaminophen round the clock for the symptomatic relief.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. There is one more question that I suddenly started thinking about. Is there any chance that these symptoms (rash, swollen joints, dry eyes and throat, chills, aches, fatique) could be linked to the use of the hormonal imbalance (estrogens, androgens, etc) ? Any suggestions on what to do if that is the case? (continue use and wait or disconintue use immediately f.eg.)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms you have are not likely to be due to oral pills or changes in the hormonal balance. Since you have taken these earlier also, such a reaction does not seem likely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.