Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Noticed brown stringy discharge. Have bloating, mild craming and diarrhea. Pregnancy test negative. Scared to go to doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
Hello, I'm 34 years old, I excercise and eat healthy. Recently, I started spotting brown stringy discharge (except when I have a bowl movement, then it's red), it started a week before my period was due and has gone on for 9 days. I've been terribly bloated and have had diarrhea twice this week. I've also had mild cramping every day. It feels like the worst PMS ever, but I have yet to get my period. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I'd normally go see a doctor, but my husband and I are living in Kiev, Ukraine and I'm a little scared to go to the hospital here. Thanks for your insight!
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I presume you always had regular periods. Based on your description, I feel your menstrual hormones have got disturbed and causing early spotting and bad premenstrual symptoms. Since this is going on for 9 days and you are late by couple of days, the first priority is to exclude pregnancy absolutely.

Routine home pregnancy test can show false negative results especially in the initial days. You need to repeat the test after 2-3 days to exclude pregnancy for sure.

If pregnancy is ruled out, normal period would normally resume within a week's time. But if the current symptoms are not tolerable, progestin analogues like provera can be help you. You can consult a gynecologist nearby and get a prescription of this drug. That being said, the first priority right now is to exclude pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor