Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Noticed a spot on penis. Blood work showed negative for hsv1 and hsv2 but swab culture showed positive for hsv1. Suggestions

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
hello, last week I went to the Dr to check a spot on my penis. he said it is possibly herpes. he took blood work and a swab of the area.. today the office called with my results and stated the blood work came back negative for hsv1 and hsv2... however the swab culture came back positive for hsv1 but not hsv 2... my dr was not in to clarify this with me... I was under the assumption that hsv1 Is on the mouth and hsv2 is on the genitals... also why would the blood work return with negative results.. thank you...
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antibody levels in herpes infection Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now there are two things that you seem to be concerned about. Firstly, I would like to tell you that genital herpes is no doubt largely caused by type 2 virus but there are some twenty percent cases in which genital infection can occur due to type 1 virus. This is what seems to have happened in your case as well. Now the swab culture test is most specific and confirmatory test for this infection. As far as the blood test is concerned, it is essentially an antibody test. These antibodies take a few days after infection to develop. The blood test comes out to be positive only once the antibodies have developed. So, since the culture is positive, so there is no doubt that it is a herpes infection. So you need to start treatment for it as soon as possible. Hope it helps, If you need further clarifications, please ask Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor