Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

No periods. High prolactin levels and PCOS. Prescribed with thyroxin. Dizziness and feeling sleepy. Pregnancy test negative

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hi i idnt have periods for more than a month now!! high prolactin level (47) and prescribed with thyroxin but never had it in less a month back for continuous 2-3 weeks but then stopped due to uneasy feeling and too much of diziness, feeling sleepy al day!
wht can be the reason for so much delay? tried the pregnancy test but it came negative...tried two time at a gap of 2 weeks. i have PCOS for a long time...from 2008 onwards.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

This delaying of periods can be due to PCOS which you are already suffering from. Other possibility is of course pregnancy. Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period. It is not uncommon for women to have negative pregnancy tests when they are pregnant. If the level of hCG is low then you will not return a positive result.

So get serum HCG levels checked which are more sensitive than a urine test.
Regarding the treatment options for PCOS:

1)     First of all try to lose some weight as it helps to improve hormone imbalances.
2)     One of the most effective treatments is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills which aids in regulating a woman’s hormones. Use of Metformin also helps.
3)     For resistant cases, there area few options available including assisted reproductive technology procedures such as controlled ovarian hyperstimulation with follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) injections followed by in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
4)     Surgery including ovarian drilling can also be done but this is kept as last resort.

You can discuss these treatment options with your gynecologist and start with the treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor