Muscle twitches on right fore arm, low on potassium, tired and achy.

Dr. Deepak Anvekar

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2012 in General Health
Question: not sure if it went through the 1st time I have been having little muscle twitches in different parts of my body that come and go about 2 weeks ago my right forearm started twitching it was suggested to me by a friend that I could be low on potassium so I drank some orange juice it went away for about a week last night it did it again before bed and it was gone this morning. all along I get the little twitches in other parts of my body but none of the seem to last as long as the forearm one did. Also not sure if this is related but I notice I sometimes start feeling tired and achy all of a sudden. I have had it on my mind preety constant the last couple of weeks worried about als or ms not sure what I am dealing with here
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the Query,

From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

The presence of weakness fatigue and generalized fasciculations could indicate the possibility of a endocrine or a electrolyte deficiency.

The other associated conditions that also need to be ruled out is essential tremor, which is a condition where a part of a person’s body shakes or trembles uncontrollably when it is held up against gravity. The tremor is usually most obvious in the hands, but may affect the arms, head, eyelids, or other muscles.

You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition wil resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have additional queries

Regards.

Dr Anvekar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Anvekar 40 minutes later
What is the likelyhood of something such as als or ms These are what are worrying me the most. I have been looking around the internet and I have myself pretty worried
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up query.

The chances that you have ALS or MS is very UNLIKELY.

These disorders MIGHT present with fasciculations which are due to hyperactivity or hyperexcitation of the Lower motor neurons. But your symptoms are not associated with damage to the brain and spinal cord tracts.

ALS or MS are a form of neurological degenerative conditions of the upper motor neurons (Brain and spinal cord) presenting with wide neurological dysfunction. The disorder is characterized by rapidly progressive weakness, muscle atrophy and fasciculations, spasticity, dysarthria, dysphagia, and respiratory compromise.

Hence your symptoms are not indicative of ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) OR Multiple sclerosis.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Be reassured.

Regards.

Dr Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E