Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Missing period after unprotected sex. Having brown spotting. Suggest any abortion pill

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I had sex on 17th XXXXXXX 2013 with my BF (Before this we done sex in last Dec 2012). Also my menstrual cycle is regular and last menstrual bleeding was started from 29th XXXXXXX which end on 31st XXXXXXX 2013. As per that calculation, today I should have menstrual bleeding, but I had just brown spotting today noon. Can I be pregnant? I am bit confused. Please suggest me any good pregnancy test. Also as per my current condition it is not right time for baby, hence please suggest me any medicine for miscarriage which don't have any side affect and I wont need to be hospitalized
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Brown period discharge is mostly seen with implantation bleeding (early week of pregnancy) if unprotected sex is done around ovulation time (14 days prior to expected due date) or in between fertile days (7th-15th February). But vaginal discharges are not reliable indicators of pregnancy.

Here, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to rule out product of conception if any.

In case of diagnosed miscarriage, you must need to take prescribed medication under supervision of healthcare provider to avoid unnecessary excessive vaginal bleeding.

Another thing, it may also occur due to hormonal imbalance or old blood/ endometrial tissue mixed with concurrent period. In such cases, it is normal thing and widely found in some women.

In addition, complete hormone assay, one vaginal swab test and urine examination (routine & microscopic) are essential to rule out underlying pathogens if pregnancy is excluded.

Possibility of STD is less with only brown vaginal discharge and no other symptoms.

In this scenario, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist regarding this for physical examination including pelvic/ speculum exam (may be needed) and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Try to avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) Control body weight & maintain genital hygiene properly including proper washing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & practice safe and protected sex.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor