Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

MRI showed subchondral fracture and moderate joint effusion. Having pain in movement. How to cure it?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
My MRI showed "nondisplaced subchondral fracture of medial femoral condylar w extensive subchondral edema" and "moderate volume joint effusion"
Pls explain (my doc was little help)
Lots of pain w any movement
Best I can do? Rest ice and ibuprofen
Cortisone shot?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The non displaced subchondral fracture is a minor degree of bone crack in the lower end of femur. The swelling and joint effusion that you have are likely to subside with adequate rest. You need to avoid weight bearing on the leg. Using a knee brace will be of help.
In addition to rest, ice and pain killers, you can keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting.
In case the joint effusion persists after two weeks then surgical drainage or aspiration may have to be considered. It is likely to recover in 3-4 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: MRI showed subchondral fracture and moderate joint effusion. Having pain in movement. How to cure it? 24 minutes later
Crutch vs. cane?
Ibuprofen vs Advil?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Cortisone is more useful in mild effusion with inflammatory changes. In traumatic effusion, aspiration may be needed.
Using a crutch is better than cane. But it is best to wear a knee brace and avopid weight bearing for at least two weeks.
Both advil or ibuprofen will help. It depends on the degree of pain you are having. You can try ibuprofen first.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor