Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Lost power to walk, liver and kidney have poor function, high sugar, body salt level low. Help

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
hi, good evening. my name is XXXXXXX and my mother who is 71 years of age is not able to walk any more, as she was admitted in the hospital because of high sugar, and body salt level had come down.
when in the hospital, doctor imformed us that the liver and kidney are also not funtioning properly because she was diabitic for a very long time. after the treatment of about 2 months, reports says that kidney and liver are now functioning better than before. but she has lost the will power for walking. she is now bedridden for last two months.
kindly help. i stay in chennai india.
regards XXXXXXX sujanani
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The inability of your mother to walk seems to be related to her weakness and a decreased will power and is not likely to be related to any bones or joints related problem.
In addition to the proper and regular treatment which she is already getting, she needs to have a regular physiotherapy. You can arrange for physiotherapy sessions at home for her and gradually she is likely to regain her strength.
With the help of regular exercise schedule she is likely to recover in 4-6 weeks.
In addition to this, a healthy diet is also necessary along with plenty of fluids to maintain her strength.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lost power to walk, liver and kidney have poor function, high sugar, body salt level low. Help 10 hours later
thanks for your kind response. We have started the physiotherapy sessions at home, but somehow i am not seeing any improvements even after 10 days of physiotherapy sessions. at time she is complaining for body and beck pain, which i feel is because of whole day lying on bed. kindly suggest me the best physiotherapist in chennai, as i am going thru a very hard phase of life, i want to see my mother walking again she can do her own routine jobs, that is more than enough for me. I am a very tensed about her health and recovery. my mobile number is 0000. pls advise the best.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
After remaining bed ridden for two months at her age, osteoporosis, decreased blood calcium and vitamin D 3 levels and muscle atrophy can lead to the problem in weight bearing or standing on her feet. It will take her time to show a response.
All the physiotherapists do not offer the services at home. You will have to search for a better one near your home after discussing with her orthopedician.
You can start giving her calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements for an early recovery.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor