Losing weight and getting pain in abdomen. Will it cause kidney stone?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My husband losing weight but having good apetite.2 months ago sudden he suffers a crum pain in right abdomen and
do USG.Doctor say its not clear right now but may leads to kidney stone.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, loss of weight and good appetite indicates presence of many diseases. Diabetes mellitus, any liver disease, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal diseases, any disease involving immunity system can lead this condition.

If, there is any symptoms like polydipsia (that means increased water intake), polyphagia (that means increased food intake) or polyuria (increased urine output), diabetes mellitus can be suspected.

So, in this situation, first of all we have to exclude the possibility of diabetes mellitus.

For this, your husband has to do a fasting and post prandial blood sugar level. If any abnormality found, then the test has to be repeated after 72 hrs.

Beside the blood sugar, liver function test can also be done to rule out any abnormality in liver function test. A thyroid profile test can also be considered to rule out any thyroid function abnormality.

You have told that your husband experienced pain in abdomen and doctor suspected it as a stone. If it is not clear then he should be investigated more meticulously for presence of any other abnormality. If no stone is found in investigations, you should consult with a gastroenterologist for further management.

If diabetes mellitus or hyperthyroidism is suspected, then you should consult with an endocrinologist for further management.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor about the points I have mentioned and ordering the required investigations. Next line of management should be determined on the basis of the reports and clinical findings.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.